RS:X Annual General Meeting – The Minutes

Minutes of the 2012 RS:X Class Annual General Meeting held at the Hotel Puerto Sherry, Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Spain on 24th March 2012 from 1800hrs to 2310hrs
1. Present:

Executive Committee Votes
Mike Dempsey (Chair) also as Proxy of Piotr Hlavaty President 2
Nicolas Huguet Vice President 1
Emmanuel Messiaen Neil Pryde Representative 1
Rene Appel Coaches Delegate 1
Zachary Plavsic Men’s Fleet Delegate 1
Rory Ramsden COO 1
Anna Graczyk-Stankiewicz Assistant Class Secretary -
Sebastian Edmonds Chief Measurer (Co-opted) -
2. Apologies
Martin Aldridge Treasurer
Rich Jeffries Honorary Member
Aaron Botzer Honorary Member
Ilker Bayinder Chr of Technical Committee
Piotr Hlavaty Senior Vice President
Olga Maslivets Women’s Fleet Delegate

3. Present

Delegate Vote Delegate Vote
ARG
Martin Berardo 1 HUN Lorand Utassy 1
AUS Luke Baillie 1 ISR Gur Steinberg 1
BUL Yavor Kolev 1 JPN Miyano Mikihiro 1
CRO Sasa Jocic 1 LTU Gintautas Bernotas 1
CUB Oscar Restituto Sanchez Barreto 1 MEX Adrien Gaillard 1
CYP Costas Symeonides 1 NOR Jarosław Miarczyński 1
CZE Karel Lavicky 1 NZL Dave Robertson 1
DEN Jacob Karstoft Jensen 1 POL Paweł Kowalski 1
EGY Hassan Kamal 1 POR Antonio Gouveia 1
ESP Alexandre Guyader 1 RUS Dmitry Polischuk 1
EST Jaak Lukk 1 SVK Patrik Pollak 1
FRA Yan Bouverne 1 TPE Chiung-Tzu Lucetta Tsai 1
GBR Barrie Edgington 1 USA Peter Wells 1
HKG Rene Appel 1

4. Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes of the 2011 AGM were received. FRA moved to accept the minutes as an accurate recording of the meeting with Rory seconding and the AGM voted to approve these.

Mike Dempsey wanted to elaborate to the AGM the comments made regarding the RS:X Class affiliation to the IWA and noted that whilst there had been comment regarding the discussion at the 2011 AGM from the IWA, this was as discussed and recorded and therefore there was no need to amend the minutes.

5.     Reports

5.1 Presidents Report

Mike Dempsey commented on the past year which for the class had been one of consolidation with good work done by the Technical Committee and also by Neil Pryde. The Europeans in Maderia saw a dedicated Mark Layer used by the class which is an option for future events as required. Neil Pryde had also been working hard in conjunction with the Chief Measurer in ensuring accuracy of equipment was maintained.

Mike went on to look forward and noted that this AGM and remainder of 2012 was a very important period for the class. Mike noted that the RS:X was very different to other classes in such that it was a product of ISAF built specifically for the Olympics – noting that if it was not an Olympic class it would die. Mike closed with the note that it was important that the class looked at the submissions on the table as a way of ensuring the class was in the best position to be retained as Olympic equipment and providing its sailors with the best experience for the next 8 years.

5.2 Treasurer Report

In the absence of the Treasurer, Mike Dempsey reported on the accounts of the class. Mike noted that the class had an increased turnover of £104k in 2012 versus £80k in 2011. After costs of £89k were deducted for class administration and expenses this left the class with a profit of £14,850 for 2012.

Reserves for 2012 were £50,946 at the time of the AGM.

ISR requested that the financial report for the class be circulated to the members ahead of the AGM to allow the members’ time to comment. Mike agreed that this would happen for the 2013 AGM.

SVK requested that a broken down summary of the accounts be presented to the class showing all expenses incurred.

Rory agreed that the 2012 accounts would be circulated to the class members following the AGM but that they should be taken as presented for the purpose of the meeting.

5.3 Continental Reports

Oceania – Luke Baille

AUS reported that the class had seen sustained growth since 2008 which was back up by a growing Techno fleet which was supporting the class with sailors. It was felt within AUS that the decision taken early on to not include the Evolution board in testing was welcome as this would have adversely affected participating numbers.

North America – Ben Barger

Ben reported on a successful Miami leg of the ISAF Sailing World Cup where there were over 500 entrants. Following from this St Francis hosted a very successful Techno World Championships in San Francisco Harbour. Ben noted that it was a shame that the RS:X Youth Worlds could not be organised at the same time but appreciated the complications. Ben felt that having the Youth events in the US was very beneficial for the development and promotion of windsurfing there.

Asia – Rene Appel

HKG reported on a successful joint championship with IMCO and Bic Techno 293 in Pattaya, Thailand, which turned out to be the best turnout that the region has experienced for some time. Rene summarised by commenting that the class was in a good position and growing.

North America – Peter Wells / Kevin Stittle (CAN)

Peter reported that they were continuing to grow the class with good growth especially in the Youth Fleet. Kevin also reported growth with a few new sailors coming forward from Quebec.

South America – Martin Berardo

Martin reported a big youth fleet but the region had concerns over the equipment and the consequences it would have on the fleets should it change. Less concerned if only the fins and sails were to change.

Europe

Portugal – Antonio Gouveia

Antonio reported no growth in the class in Portugal but that they were starting to see some Techno sailors sailing.

Spain – Alex Guyarder

Alex reported that the fleets in Spain were stable but small in size.

France – Yan Bourverne

Yan reported that the class was stable in numbers but that turnover of sailors was a concern that they needed to address – approximately 50% of the fleet every two years with a more females than males dropping out. Yan also went onto note that they have a problem with smaller sailors coming from BIC Techno and not being quite mature enough for the RS:X.

Norway – Jarosław Miarczyński

Jaroslaw reported that the RS:X was growing in numbers in its fleets combined with big fleets in the Techno. He estimated that in a couple of years time that the RS:X class should see a lot of growth coming through because of this.

Slovakia – Patrik Pollack

Patrik noted that he is still the only RS:X sailor from his country. Patrik noted that no-one wanted to try the equipment or that there were any events to compete at. Poland was the closest opportunity to sail against fellow RS:X sailors.

Poland – Paweł Kowalski

Pawel reported that the fleet was stable with 50 sailors attending the RS:X national championships in Poland. Pawel commented that there are 5 principle windsurfing clubs producing good sailors and that the Techno fleet is also big which should continue to provide RS:X sailors in the future.

Hungary – Lorand Utassy

Lorand reported that Hungary had started a Techno program 3 years ago which was helping the class grow. Hungary now had three male and three female sailors in the RS:X fleet.

Cyprus – Costas Symeonides

Costas reported that Cyprus was starting to see growth and that they were hopeful for more sailors coming through soon.

Denmark – Jacob Karstoft Jensen

Jacob reported that Denmark had 7 sailors in the RS:X and had just started a Techno program to further develop the sport and pathway.

Great Britain – Barrie Edgington

Barrie reported that the fleet numbers were stable but like France had too big a drop off between Techno and RS:X which was something that was being worked on.

Lithuania – Juozas Bernotas

Small fleet with only 3 sailors. Currently no Techno program as Sports Schools are tending to invest in other equipment to encourage participation.

Russia – Dmitry Polischuk

Dmitry reported good growth in Russia> which was primarily based on 4 strong Techno fleets. Dmitry noted that there were five Russian sailors competing at the World Championships.

Egypt – Hassan Kamal

Hassan reported that windsurfing is finally growing again after the change from IMCO to RS:X. It was noted that equipment was in short supply but overall Egypt has good plans for the future.

5.4 Manufacturers Report

See attached.

5.5 Youth

The AGM welcomed Chiung-Tzu Lucetta Tsai from Taipei who gave a report on preparations on the upcoming Worlds in Penghu, Taipei. Lucetta commented that Penghu traditionally provides strong wind events and that sailors should come prepared to enjoy some classic windsurfing conditions. Lucetta also commented that the event organisers were also looking to provide good shore based activities to make the trip fully worthwhile for visiting teams. The presentation concluded with the note that all teams were very welcome and that once they have made the trip there the sailing conditions and local costs would make for a memorable event.

The AGM also noted that the 2012 Youth Europeans were scheduled for Estonia which should also be an excellent event with good hosts and organisation.

5.6 Men’s Fleet Delegate

Zac Plasvic was welcomed to the meeting (having just joined) and gave a brief summary on the concerns from the Mens fleet. Zac noted that concerns were based about the equipment testing and that few of the top sailors had tested the equipment and been able to give their feedback.

5.7 Women’s Fleet Delegate

No Womens fleet representative so no report presented.

5.8 Chief Measurer Report

Bas Edmonds reported that this was his first event since the previous AGM so did not have much to report on with regards to equipment.

Bas noted that he had received reports regarding the registration process from the Europeans in Maderia and noted that the Technical Committee felt this to be a one-off and had applied the standard system for registration for the event which had received no complaints.

Gur raised the question of permitting discretionary penalties into the sailing instructions. It was noted that the Technical Committee had considered a proposal for this and decided not to implement this for the 2012 Worlds but would look to discuss this further.

5.9 Coaches Report

Rene Appel reported that the coaches had met the night before to discuss a number of issues on the agenda as follows:

Submissions on equipment changes;

Bas did a detailed report on the rig and fin testing.> The coaches, with the exception of one, expressed that they felt that the equipment should remain as it is based on the following:

  • At this stage of testing the new rigs and fins are not finalized yet.> Changes proposed as such are in principle only, with further development to be done.
  • With both RSX men and women fleet well developed in numbers, and BIC Techno sailors coming through the system, it was felt as undesirable to allow for a change in equipment without knowing full implications on the demographics of the fleet as a result.> For example youth sailors now in the system looking for representation in 2020 may not be of the right physique if either submission on rig size gets voted in.
  • Some of the not so well funded MNA’s coaches expressed that any change in equipment would push them out of the running for the next Olympics and would harm their development model. Equipment, incl rigs and fins, gets handed down to their youth programs and increases the fleet size in local competitions. A change in equipment would stop this from happening.

The two issues coaches felt deserved more focus was making battens more durable and fins more durable as well as further increase consistency.

Change in format of racing;

Rene and Rob Lamb presented a format of racing on behalf of the Format Working Party (see attached)

Coaches were in favour of this format with the exception of one.> It was felt that this would provide a major and exciting change, and that it would allow for racing closer to shore targeting an increase in sponsorship.>

The outcome of the discussion as to in which events this development should take place was, in order of desirability;

  • training sessions prior to the Olympics in Weymouth with coaches leading this
  • World Cup events (but it was acknowledged the Class would have no say on this)
  • RSX Youth events
  • It was stressed that the format should stay as it is for the 2013 Worlds, and that the new format would need to be endorsed at this world championships.

6. Election of Representatives to the Executive Committee

The following positions were confirmed to the Executive Committee:

Mike Dempsey was elected as President by acclamation

Nicolas Huguet was elected as Vice-President by acclamation

Piotr Hlavaty was elected as Vice-President by acclamation

Zac Plasvic’s election by the Men’s Fleet as their Representative was noted

Rene Appel election by the Coaches as their Representative was noted

Nico thanked all for the support for his nomination and stated that he was looking forward to the role and in particular in improving the communication between the Executive and the coaches and sailors.

Patrik Pollak questioned why no continental representatives were elected at the AGM. Patrik quoted #11.6.2 from the class constitution which deals with continental representatives and requested that these be considered.

The AGM was adjourned for a ten minute break whilst the Executive considered this request.

Mike Dempsey confirmed that continental representatives could not be voted on at this stage of the AGM and that continental class associations without a representative on the Executive Committee wished to get together to elect such a representative, the constitution provided for that. Rory recommended that any delegate concerned with this part of the constitution should put forward a submission to amend the constitution at the next AGM to clarify the process.

7. Submissions

# Detail by Accept/
Reject
1 RS:X Evolution Equipment
WITHDRAWN
2 RS:X Evolution Equipment
WITHDRAWN
3 RS:X Evolution Equipment
WITHDRAWN – See Submission 5
4 RS:X Evolution Equipment

WITHDRAWN
5 RS:X Evolution Equipment
Bas Edmonds gave a report from the Equipment Working party (report attached) and noted that whilst the testing had been limited it had shown some trends which enabled the WP to push Submissions 3 and 5 for class consideration.Barrie thanked Bas for his efforts under difficult conditions and Yan further thanked Neil Pryde for their commitment to the trials and the development of the class.Rory noted that the RS:X Class would be in a similar position to the IMCO 12 years previous if no evolution occurred in 2013.

Rene noted that the Coaches opinion was that instead of introducing new equipment that class efforts would be better spent on resolving some of the outstanding issues with the existing equipment such as fins and batten breakages. Rene went on to note that the coaches would have preferred a development period over the next three years with inclusion of a new sail for 2020.

Alex (Bermuda) requested that the time be better spent addressing the tolerances of the equipment as well as improving the durability which would have a more positive impact on the class.

Nico suggested that instead of changing the physical characteristics of the equipment that the class could look to change the appearance and linked in with the format discussion could look to promote the more positive aspects of the class.

Submission 3 was subsequently withdrawn.

Barrie noted that whilst the vote was negative, it should be recorded that the intention of the vote is to introduce stability into the class and to further encourage and enable more nations to participate in Olympic Wind

1stRory2nd

POR

Rejected
6 Youth Equipment – MEX
WITHDRAWN
7 Provided Equipment – MEX
Aaron MacIntosh observed that in his opinion Neil Pryde provide the most consistent equipment in the windsurfing world and that we should be showing off the class by putting the equipment in containers and going to otherwise difficult to reach venues because we would be self sufficientBarrie supported the principle but was concerned about costs issues as well as equipment maintenance issuesThe proposal voted on was:

RS:X equipment for 2014, 2015 and 2016 world championships and other events> will be provided ~ like the Olympic Games ~ The RS:X Executive should negotiate with Neil Pryde Windsurfing and come back to the 2013 AGM with proposals for approval

1stGBR2nd

Rory

Accepted
8 Race Target Times – BEL
WITHDRAWN
9 Bid Process – FRA
Yan Bouverne said that the object is to open up the bid process for the World Championships and encourage more bids. The proposal clarifies that it would not rule out the prospect of having only one bid for the AGM to vote onThe > proposal >voted on was: ” (minimum three) In case of a list of biddersbeing less than three, Executive Committee shall advise MNA’s Class Members they can make anadditional bid and ensure a real choice during the class AGM.” 1stZac2nd

SVK

Accepted
10 Bid Process – FRA
WITHDRAWN
11 Awarding an Event – FRA
Barrie supports the general principle and hopes that the Executive takes on board the need to consult more on championship details> The proposal >voted on was: >“> Phase 7:-Awarding of EventBased on the pitches made and the report of the technical delegate, the Annual General Meeting will be invited to vote for the bid they most favor. The bid with the most votes is awarded the event subject to receipt of the sanctioning fee and final detailed negotiations.> If LOA and Executive Office fail to contract last agreement, the Executive Committee should advise the Class Members and organize a new vote even by electronic way. 1stSVK2nd

ISR

Accepted
12 Gold Standard Stability – SVK
WITHDRAWN
13 Format Working Party – Rene
Gur Steinberg said that he liked the idea but had reservations about how much more attractive it would be to the media. Rene asked for a vote to accept the proposed format (see attached) in principle on the basis that it will be subject to ongoing refinement and tested prior to a final decision made on the basis of a submission to the 2013 AGM 1stGBR2nd

CYP

Accepted
14 Digital Class
Barrie Edgington said that wireless networks are sometimes unreliable so it would be nice if printed copies of notices should be on requestThe proposal >voted on was: “That from 2013 onwards at the RS:X Worlds and Europeans, the only printed document available on site will be the protest form provided that there is> an Official Notice Board on the venue either digitally or traditionally> 1stRene2nd

Rory

Accepted

8. Any Other Business

8.1 The following principle statement was put forward by Barrie Edgington and agreed by acclamation:

  • The Class believes that the best way to grow the Class is a cycle of stability.
  • The transition of young sailors into the RS:X Olympic Class is best served by maintaining the current equipment which is world wide.
  • The Class believes it can successfully introduce new formats that show the sport close to shore in a media and spectator friendly and exciting way.
  • The Class is committed to change/evaluation for 2020 and use the next (2012-2016) cycle to develop an appropriate piece of RS:X equipment.

There being no other business the meeting closed a 2310hrs.

Social Networks